Origin: The history says a lot about this celebrated fruit. Mango has been familiar with Indians since a very long time. In ancient times, Mango was also known as Amra-Phal. Mango also finds its presence in the Vedic literature, Upanishads, and the Puranas. Mango was known as Aam-kay in Tamil and maanga in Malayi. Portuguese when invaded India through Kerala, was fascinated by this sweet fruit and named it Mango.
Mango has a rich history in India, many courtesans were named after mango and rulers from different kingdoms came and took different varieties of mango along with them. Buddhism bestowed faith and prosperity into religion through mango. Buddhist rulers used to give mango for exchanging gifts.
Scientifically: Mango, scientifically known as Mangifera indica, is a member of the cashew family called Anacardiaceae. Mango is one of the most important and widely cultivated fruits of the tropical world. The mango tree natively belongs to eastern Asia, Myanmar (Burma), and the Assam state of India. This fruit is known for its juicy and sweet taste.
The mango tree is an evergreen tree and reaches the height of about 15–18 metres (50–60 feet) in height and lives for long. The leaves are about 12 inches long and it bears small pink flowers and is in loose clusters. The fruit is available in different sizes and types. It is usually in round or oval, heart-shaped. It can also be long and slender. It is in yellow, red, orange and green color and is a single seed fruit.
The mango is known for its connection with the folklore and religious ceremonies of India. It spread early on to Malaya, eastern Asia, and eastern Africa. Mangos were introduced to California (Santa Barbara) in 1880.
The popularity of the mango spread north in the Americas through the years. It reached Mexico in the early 19th century and finally reached the United States in 1860.
Usage: Mango is a low calorie and high in nutrients fruit. It is packed with all the vitamins and minerals. Mangoes are a rich source of vitamins A, C, and D. Mango contains polyphenols which is plant compounds like antioxidants. These compounds help in preventing any free radical damage. Mangoes help in boosting immunity and increases the metabolic rate of the body. They contain folate, vitamin K, vitamin E and several B vitamins which helps in increasing immunity.
Mangoes help in reducing blood pressure. Mangoes are full of digestive enzymes which aid digestion. It also improves eyesight. Mango is rich in vitamin C, which promotes healthy hair and skin. Mangoes not only add medicinal value but also enhance the beauty. Mangoes are effective in bringing the glow to the skin, they unclog pores and also lightens the skin. Mangoes are full of collagen-producing compounds which help in preventing aging.
Below are some DIY using mangoes:
- Take 1 tablespoon mango pulp, 1 teaspoon of organic honey and 1 tablespoon of milk and mix these ingredients well. Apply this mixture on your face. Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse it later. This pack helps in improving skin texture.
- Take a tablespoon of mango pulp, 2 teaspoons of wheat flour and 1 teaspoon of organic Honey. Mix all the ingredients together to make a thick paste. Apply this on the face and sun-affected parts. Let it stay on for 15 minutes and wash with normal water. This pack helps in removing tan and soothes the skin.
- Take 1 tablespoon of mango pulp, 2 tablespoon of besan, 2 teaspoons of grounded almonds and 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix these ingredients well until it becomes a thick paste, and apply it all over your face and body. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse. This pack helps in cleansing skin.
- Take 2 tablespoons of mango pulp, 1 tablespoon of oats, 2 teaspoons raw milk and 3-4 grounded almonds. Apply this mixture on your face and body and scrub it off after 15 minutes. Wash it off later. This helps in exfoliating and removing the dead skin.
- Take a piece of mango and rub on pigmented areas of the face and body. It helps in reducing the pigmentation.
- Take a tablespoon of mango pulp and a teaspoon of yogurt. Mix well and apply on face. This helps in removing acne.