Origin: Soybean is believed to have originated in China. It was first domesticated 7000 years ago. Soybean has been an important legume for China, Japan, and Korea. It has been in use for a thousand years now. Soyabean oil is the direct result of processing the soya bean.
The soybean is rich in oil, and is also known as an "oilseed." Soybean contains about 18% oil and 35% protein which makes it an important oil source.
Scientifically: The world’s majority soybeans are processed to make crude soybean oil and the residue is used as soybean meal. The oil is first degummed which is to remove the lecithin and then it is refined, bleached, hydrogenated, deodorized. Later it is chilled. Soyabean oil is the richest source of protein-based oil. It is a great source of cooking oil and is rich in nutrients. Soybean oil is low in saturated fatty acids and rich in Poly and Mono Unsaturated fatty acids which helps to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. This oil also has a high smoking point of 226 degrees Celsius giving you a smoke-free kitchen oil.
Usage: Soyabean oil is used to make salads, curries, cosmetics and is primarily used as a cooking oil. Soy oil also used as an industrial oil, to make paints, varnishes, and soaps. Soybean meal is used as fodder for animals. The residue in the soyabean oil extraction is also used to defatted soy flour, soy protein concentrates and isolates, and textured soy protein products.
Soybean oil has an array of health benefits. It is a rich source of proteins, essential fats, vitamins, and phytochemicals. Soybean oil works excellent to lower cholesterol levels by reducing cholesterol absorption in the gut.
Consumption of soybean oil has proven to improve hair growth, skin texture, and heart health. It is also important for improving bone health. Soybean oil consumption also lessens memory loss and fights Alzheimer's. Soybean oil is also used in making soaps, shampoos, hair oil and other beauty products.
Below are some DIYs with soybean oil for beautiful hair and skin:
- Take a few drops of soybean oil. And massage it over the face until completely absorbed. Keep this overnight and rinse it next morning. The Vitamin E in the soybean oil helps in achieving smooth and healthy skin.
- Take half a teaspoon of soybean oil and add a tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel. Mix it together and apply on the face and neck. Wash it off after 15 minutes. This remedy helps in reducing acne and moisturizes it the same time.
- Take a tablespoon of soybean oil and 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix it together and apply on the scalp and the hair length. Keep it on for 40 minutes and then shampoo. This remedy helps in promoting hair growth.
- Take a teaspoon of soybean oil, a tablespoon of yogurt and a few drops of honey. Mix them together and apply on the face. Gently massage and wash it off after 10 minutes. This remedy helps in brightening the skin and evens the skin tone.
- Rub a few drops of soybean oil on nails. And massage it gently. This helps in strengthening the nails.